Boulets Liegeois (Belgian Style Meatballs)
Courtesy of Jesse Steele – Death or Glory Bar
Kicking off the first in our series of recipes that perfectly pair our beers with food, this one is a meat-lovers dream. Belgian style meatballs with a wonderful sauce containing a couple cups of our Three Fates Tripel. Pick up a 4-pack of the beer, drink a few, and cook up a batch tonight.
1 POUND GROUND BEEF
1 POUND GROUND PORK
1 MEDIUM YELLOW ONION SMALL DICED
1 TEASPOON CHOPPED GARLIC
1 BUNCH FLAT LEAF PARSLEY CHOPPED
2 LARGE EGGS BEATEN
1 + ½ CUP PANKO BREADCRUMBS
½ CUP B.O.M. THREE FATES TRIPEL
1 + ½ TABLESPOONS KOSHER SALT
½ TEASPOON GROUND BLACK PEPPER
1 LARGE YELLOW ONION CHOPPED
2 TABLESPOONS CHOPPED FRESH THYME OR 1 TABLESPOON DRIED THYME
3 TABLESPOONS BROWN SUGAR
2 TABLESPOONS RED WINE VINEGAR
3 TABLESPOONS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
2 CUPS BEEF STOCK
2 + ½ CUPS B.O.M. THREE FATES TRIPEL
2 BAY LEAVES
- Preheat oven to 350* Fahrenheit.
- Mix breadcrumbs and beer in a small bowl until moistened and combined well.
- Place ground beef and pork in a large bowl and mix with hands until just combined.
- Add in onion, garlic, parsley, eggs, breadcrumb mixture, salt, and pepper. Mix by hand until combined well.
- Form 1.5 ounce meatballs with a small scoop or roll by hand. Should yield about 35-40 meatballs.
- Place on a sheet tray and bake in oven for 12 minutes. Turn tray and bake an additional 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack.
- Saute onions in medium pot over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until caramelized and sweet. About 20 minutes.
- Add thyme and cook 1 minute.
- Add brown sugar and vinegar, stir well.
- Add flour to make a roux and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add beef stock and beer slowly while stirring with a whisk.
- Add bay leaves
- Bring to a boil then drop to a simmer for about 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooled meatballs to pot and stir gently until well coated and heated through. About 5 minutes.
- Serve with french fries and a cold B.O.M. Three Fates Tripel in a snifter.